This week was a week like any other – filled with ups, downs, and news! Here’s some links to fill in the middle of your week.
- The XFL is coming back in 2020. The ill fated football league died in the 90s as quickly as it was created. This time, however, Vince McMahon says things will be different. I don’t know if they will, but the idea isn’t the worst I’ve heard. Especially if they consider doing spring football – a time of year where there isn’t any professional league action. It may fill a void people didn’t realize they had instead of directly competing with the NFL (which they’ll lose…hard).
- Carrie Fisher won a posthumous Grammy for spoken word for the audiobook version of her book “The Princess Diarist.”
- Dorkly compiled some of the best moments from Sealab 2021. If you don’t know what Sealab 2021 is – it was a parody series from the early 2000s which used stock footage from the 70s Hannah-Barbara cartoon Sealab 2020 with new dialogue to comedic effect. You can watch Sealab 2021 at Hulu. And you should.
- Since literally everything old is new again, Charmed is being rebooted. I’m not sure why. The original series, following three powerful witch sisters (the Charmed Ones) was a silly, albeit fun series from the late 90s. It was no Buffy, but I remember my sisters REALLY loving the show. We’ll see how a reboot at the CW turns out.
- Patty Cake Productions has been producing mashups of the music of pop artists with classic fairy tales for about a year now called “Unexpected Musicals.” They all have had some fairly high production value and are fun to watch. Their newest mashes up the music of Ariana Grande and the Little Mermaid. Check it out here.
- Dave Rappoccio of the Drawplay wrote a comic (and article below, read the article) in defense of Eagles fans…and other sports franchise fandoms. The point – we are often compared to the worst of us, not to the average fan who happens to love a sports team and are mostly reasonable. This applies to non-sports fandoms too, so my geeky friends – take note.
- The folks at Yatta-Tachi got a chance recently to interview the creators of Yuri!!! on Ice. It’s a cool interview and worth checking out if you’re a fan of the show.
- Over at Beneath the Tangles, I recently wrote about prayer and the manga series Donyatsu. Yes, the one about pastry animals in a post-apocalyptic setting. No, I’m not kidding. Check it out!
This week in Twitter, I’m going to recommend you follow the following accounts:
- Bad Science – This is an account that talks about…bad science. As in so bad and fake and it’s fantastic. It’s a fun addition to your Twitter feed.
- Captain Dangerous – Similar to wankotkt who I recommended a few weeks back, Captain Dangerous takes still photos of figures and tells stories with them. The figures tend to have a Nintendo lean. They’re very well done.
And in closing, here’s some music: “Know U Anymore” by BoTalks featuring Sarah Hyland.