Another week, another round up of links! All the news that I’m finding interesting in the past week. Let’s do this!
- Lauren Orsini of Otaku Journalist asks the age old question – what is anime? Is it defined by where is was created? Or by the style it’s used.
- Speaking of anime – if you are interested in the Fall 2017 anime season, the good folks at Yatta-Tachi have you covered. They’re tracking where you can legally watch all the new series for the Fall 2017 season.
- Crunchyroll’s Willhelm Donko continues the tour of the real places which inspired the fictional community of Manoyama from the series Sakura Quest. The side by side pictures are awesome. As is the series, so check it out (legally at Crunchyroll).
- RPI President Doctor Shirley Ann Jackson is once again trying to usurp the rightful authority of students in regard to the Student Union. For 125 years the students have almost entirely autonomously managed their student union, from the fee students pay to join, to the budgets of clubs, to contracts with vendors, to hiring the formal administrator of the building. Dr. Jackson wants to change that to fill the many budget holes the university has currently. It’s outrageous and students (and alumni like me) are rightfully angry.
- There was a dance off between people in Pikachu costumes and people dressed as Team Skull. You. Need. To. See. It. Now.
- E! Online is reporting that Kelly Clarkson refused to get writing credits (and the money that goes with it) for a song because she wanted nothing to do with producer Dr. Luke. Dr. Luke is embroiled in scandal based on his alleged past abuse of recording artist Kesha (which she sings about in her song Prayer).
- Twitter announced that it is rolling out an increased 280 character limit for some users. This feels like a bad idea. A really bad idea. Also, what about things people actually want…like an edit button. Just saying.
- A group of MIT students are working on a set of gloves that will translate sign language into an audible voice. It’s still in the earliest of phases, but the product looks promising and if they can upload enough gestures to it – would be incredibly helpful!
Feel free to comment in the…comments section below. I didn’t think this sentence through very well.
Let’s end with some music. How about Pentatonix’s Perfume Medley, cause it’s excellent: